Recent server issues

General talk about Dragon Myrth and NWN goes here
Site Admin

Recent server issues

Post by 060782 » Fri May 05, 2017 12:59 pm

As you may have noticed, the server has been having some issues lately.
A short recap on what happened:

During the weekend 8/9'th of April the server suffered a massive hardware failure.
This included the harddrive failing in such a way that it appeared encrypted, and I was unable to access any data on it.

I managed to acquire new hardware and the server was back up and running the 23'rd of April.

Unfortunately that success was short lived, as some ports I was using while configuring the server, hadn't been properly closed again, and the 29'th the server was hit by a Ransomware attack. Deciding that a weeks worth of data wasn't worth the ~$4000 ransom, I had to reinstall the server again.

So the 2. May we went online once again.
Prior to all this, the server had been running for over 10 years. Here's hoping we can last another 10 without any such incidents!

I'd like to apologize to all the players who've lost their characters you've spend a lot of time on.
Without you there'd be little point in the server, and I am very glad for those who are still playing on, despite these things.

berylgreen

Re: Recent server issues

Post by berylgreen » Sat May 06, 2017 6:10 pm

Thank you for keeping us running! I will miss my characters, but I can recreate them. :) At least we still have a place to play them.

gregor wyrmbane

Post by gregor wyrmbane » Sun May 07, 2017 1:23 pm

Howdy,

Sorry to hear about the issues with your computer. They can really be a pain in the rear some times.

I have no idea what operating system you were/are using, but I thought I'd share this with you. I have had hard drives in the past that were running windows based systems that crashed and became unreadable. I tried installing them as a slave drive on another windows based system and they were still unreadable. However, when I installed them as a slave drive on a computer running a Linux operating system, all my data was readable and I was able to recover it. If you haven't tried that yet, you may want to. You may be able to recover everything you lost.

Gregor

FooLing

Post by FooLing » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:55 pm

As always, thanks for keeping the place going.

Something seems to have gone wrong with the server again today. The name of the module is "No Module" and I don't seem to have any characters in my vault. Hopefully, it's not as serious to correct as the other recent issues. Mainly just a heads up.

berylgreen

Post by berylgreen » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:55 am

I am trying to access Dragon Myrth, but my history list is showing "No Module", and my character vault is empty. :?

Site Admin

Post by 060782 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:18 pm

Hey guys!

Sorry about that. I had installed some new updates, and rebooted, and apparently the NWN server had started before the SQL and such were ready - thus an empty server. :oops:

Things are back to normal now!

berylgreen

Post by berylgreen » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:42 pm

Awesome, thank you! :D

mightyapu

Post by mightyapu » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:29 pm

Hello there! Hope to see some of you in game :)